- Information about Specsavers
- What personal information is collected?
- How is that information used?
- How long is the information kept for?
- Who is personal information shared with?
- How is personal information processed?
- How to update or amend personal information
- What rights do you have?
- What choices do you have?
- Protecting personal information
- Contact us
I am a store customer (optician or audiology), a corporate eyecare customer or a user of the Specsavers website
- Each Specsavers store is a company within the Specsavers Group. Details of each store company is available in the relevant store
- Specsavers Optical Superstores Limited (a company registered in England and Wales with company number 01721624 and registered office at Forum 6 Parkway, Solent Business Park Whiteley, Fareham, PO15 7PA)
- Specsavers Optical Group Limited (a company registered in Guernsey with company number 12294 and its registered office is at La Villiaze, St Andrews, Guernsey GY6 8YP)
- Specsavers Hearcare Group Limited (a company registered in Guernsey with company number 35965 and its registered office is at La Villiaze, St Andrews, Guernsey GY6 8YP).
I am a Specsavers Healthcall customer
- Details of each domiciliary company is available on request from your Specsavers Healthcall representative
- Specsavers Healthcall Limited (a company registered in England and Wales with company number 02604077 and its registered office is at Forum 6, Solent Business Park, Whiteley, Hampshire PO15 7PA)
Specsavers Group are data controllers of your personal data for the purposes of applicable data protection legislation.
We may collect and process information about you including:
- your name
- your date of birth
- your contact telephone numbers (including mobile)
- your email and postal address
- your relevant health details including (a) current and past eye/hearing health/conditions, general health condition and spectacles, contact lens or hearing prescriptions; (b) current medication details; and (c) correspondence between optometrist and/or audiologist and your GP/ophthalmologist
- your examination and test results
- your payment details
- your employment/lifestyle/driving information
- details of any prescription supplied to you by your healthcare professional or medical practitioner
- information that you provide by filling in forms on Specsavers website
- details of your visit to the website and any transactions you carry out on the website
- any information and/or images provided to us when you use Specsavers virtual try-on technology
- any other information voluntarily provided to us by you from time to time
This information will primarily be collected from you as voluntarily provided to us, but we may also collect it from other sources where it is lawful to do so, including but not limited to, the NHS or other health care providers, institutions or individuals you have authorised to provide information on your behalf (eg parents or guardians), third party service providers, government, tax or law enforcement agencies, and other third parties. Such information can also be combined with information from public sources.
We may also collect personal information about you from your use of other Specsavers Group websites or services.
Specsavers Group may use your personal information for the purposes of:
- your eye and/or hearing care treatment
- providing our products and services to you
- letting you know when your next appointment is due and reminding you to book a test if you’ve not had one for a while
- marketing Specsavers products and services to you
- undertaking customer service surveys to ensure we continually improve our services to you
- helping us review, develop and improve the products and services we offer, for example through research, analysis and planning
- notifying you about changes to our products and services
- responding to queries from you
- processing and retaining personal data relating to your credit/debit card and order details to enable the fulfilment of your order and to deal with any queries or refunds of payment
- carrying out security checks to protect against fraudulent transactions at or following any purchase or order you make to prevent and detect criminal activities. For example, we may undertake verification checks to identify any discrepancies with your payment details
- responding to and addressing any claims made against us
- using cookies and traffic data as set out in section 7 below
- to comply with laws or regulations applicable to the Specsavers Group, including prevention and/or detection of non-compliance
- maintaining records for tax, compliance with laws, defence of claims and other corporate purposes
- managing and administrating insurance claims
In order to provide you with the products and services described above, we hold copies of your personal information at:
- the relevant Specsavers store company for products and services provided to you in store
- Specsavers Optical Group Limited.
If you do not register as a customer online but contact us through the website (and/or by email at [email protected]) you will be providing us with personal information about yourself, including your email address, name and contact details. This may also include medical information, where volunteered by you.
You may also be required to supply personal information (but not medical information) by entering a competition on our website. We will only use such information for the purposes of providing a reply, reviewing any feedback or improving the website.
If you are simply browsing our website we will not collect any information which will identify you by name. However, we will collect information using cookies and/or traffic data which uses IP addresses or other numeric identifiers, which analyse navigation and use of the website.
More information on cookies use is set out in section 7 below.
Personal information will be retained by us and other members of the Specsavers Group for as long as is reasonably necessary (or as defined under applicable healthcare laws and regulations) to provide products and services, including aftercare services, and to maintain records as required to satisfy tax and other legal or regulatory requirements, as well as to protect and defend against claims.
Each Specsavers store is operated by a company within the Specsavers Group. When you place an order for products or services at a store, the data controller of the personal data will be that store. Specsavers Optical Group will process that data, including any health information, on behalf of the store. Specsavers Optical Group also provides and processes IT, marketing and other services for each store and any associated personal data.
We may from time to time disclose your personal information to third parties, including in the following circumstances:
- We use third parties to help us process personal information but they may not use it for other purposes. We may use the information we receive from third parties to supplement, improve and add to our databases of customer details
- We may disclose personal information to health authorities, including NHS or national equivalent bodies
- We may pass personal information to external agencies and organisations, including the police and other law enforcement agencies, for the prevention and detection of fraud (including fraudulent transactions) and criminal activity. These external agencies may check the information we give them against public and private databases and may keep a record of such checks to use in future security checks
- We may pass personal information to our insurers in the event that a claim is made or could be made against us or other members of the Specsavers Group
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, we may disclose personal information about customers to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets
- If we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party (or subject to a reorganisation within our corporate group), personal information held by us about customers will be one of the transferred assets
- We may pass certain personal information to your employer, where you have been referred to us as a corporate eyecare customer
- We may pass your personal information to third parties in order to comply with any legal obligation (including court orders), or to enforce or apply our website Terms and conditions of purchase, Terms and conditions of use of website or other agreements we have with you or to protect Specsavers’ rights, property and safety or those of our customers, employees or other third parties
Your personal information may be transferred to, stored and processed in one or more countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA), including Guernsey. Guernsey’s data protection laws are similar to those in the EU and so such transfers are permitted.
For transfers of your personal data to third parties outside of the EEA, we take additional steps in line with data protection laws. These include EU Commission approved forms of contract with the relevant recipients of your personal information, whether members of the Specsavers Group or otherwise.
In addition, we take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected in accordance with the requirements of the UK data protection law.
You can update or amend your personal information at your local Specsavers store, by signing in to Your Account (if you are a registered online customer), or by notifying [email protected].
You have certain rights under UK data protection legislation, including the option to:
- access your personal information – we may charge a fee where we are permitted to do so by law
- rectify your personal information if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- erase your personal information and prevent further processing in specific circumstances and where there is no other lawful ground for continuing to retain and process that information. These include for example:
- where the personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was originally collected/processed
- where you withdraw consent
- where you object to us processing your personal information
- block or suppress processing of personal information. While we are entitled to store your personal information, we cannot further process it if you request it to be blocked
- move, transfer or port your personal information to another organisation; and
- object to the processing of your personal information:
- if processing is based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority
- processed for direct marketing
- processed for purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics
To request any of the above rights, please contact your Specsavers store or if you are a registered online customer, contact [email protected].
Specsavers may use your personal information to contact you in relation to our products and services.
To ensure that you continue to receive excellent healthcare, we will send you non-marketing material, such as appointment reminders and notices to remind you when your current prescription expires.
You may change your marketing preferences at any time either in store or by emailing [email protected] or phoning the customer service team on 0808 172 0072.
You can choose to stop receiving marketing emails from us by following the unsubscribe link and instructions on the respective marketing emails we send you.
We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information from unauthorised access and use.
As effective as modern security practices are, no physical or electronic security system is entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the complete security of our database, nor can we guarantee that information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the internet. Any transmission is at your own risk.
In the event that there is an interception of your personal information or unauthorised access or use of our database, we will not be liable or responsible for any resulting misuse of your personal information.
We have no control over the contents of third party sites or resources which are linked to our website and we accept no responsibility or liability for them or the privacy practices they use or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of such websites or resources.
Last updated January 2017
© Specsavers 2016. All rights reserved.
See our Intellectual Property Rights Policy which applies to all trade marks and copyright material.