Contact lens solutions
Contact lens solutions
Our contact lens solutions are designed to keep your lenses clean and fresh – helping your eyes stay healthy and your lenses feel comfortable. You’ll need to use a cleaning solution if you have twice-monthly or monthly lenses.
What contact lens solution should I use?
Your optician will advise which solution is best for you. You can add the any of the solutions below to the all-inclusive packages for just £3 per month (see in-store for more details).
The perfect solution
We’re sure you love wearing your contact lenses, so here are some helpful reminders for you to continue wearing them comfortably and safely.
DOs & DON'Ts
- Do - always wash, rinse, and dry hands before handling contact lenses.
- Do - stop wearing your lenses if your eyes become red or sore – contact your store for advice.
- Do – throw away your contact lenses after the recommended period.
- Do - follow product recommendations and instructions from your eyecare professional to clean and disinfect your lenses properly.
- Do - read the labels on your contact lens care products.
- Do - make sure you are using the correct solution for your type of contact lens. Not all lenses and solutions are compatible.
- Do - use only sterile saline solutions for rinsing.
- Do – use clean fingers and fresh solution whenever you remove your lenses. Then shake out any excess solution from your contact lens case and allow to air-dry.
- Do - replace your contact lens storage case as directed by your eyecare professional. Contact lens cases are most commonly replaced monthly for reusable (monthly/twice monthly) soft lenses.
NB Most of our contact lens care systems now provide a case: one case in a 1/12 supply and three cases in a 3/12 supply.
- Do - return for all the aftercare visits recommended by your optician
- Don’t - expose your contact lenses to any water. This includes tap, bottled, distilled, lake, ocean or any homemade saline solution, as it increases the risk of infection.
- Don’t - mix contact lens solutions together.
- Don’t - use contact lens solution that is past its expiration or discard date.
- Don’t – top up or reuse contact lens solution. Discard all of the old solution every day and replace with fresh solution.
- Don’t - put your lenses in your mouth to wet them. Saliva is not a sterile solution.
- Don’t - transfer contact lens solutions into smaller travel size containers. This can affect the sterility of the solution and lead to eye infections.
- Don’t - wear your lenses showering unless you keep your eyes firmly closed.
What is contact lens solution?
Contact lens solution is a carefully balanced formulation of sterile constituents that is used to clean and disinfect contact lenses. There are many different types of solutions and brands, but most of them contain a combination of a surface acting agent, a preservative or alternate disinfection agent, and a wetting and/or comfort agent. These properties make sure the lenses stay wet and hydrated when on the surface of the eye. Storing lenses in solution when they are not in use means they are kept in top condition and are ready for when you next want to wear them.
Always remember the golden rule:
if in doubt, take them out.
Every time you place your lenses on your eyes ask yourself three simple questions:
- Are my lenses comfy?
- Am I seeing clearly?
- Are my eyes white and looking healthy?
If you answer ‘no’ to any of the above, you should contact us as soon as possible.