Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
Could you please explain my new prescription Right Sph -3.50 Cyl -1.25 Axis 5.0 Left -3.50 Cyl -1.50 Axis 1.0.
My old prescription from three years ago was Right -3.50 Cyl -1.25 Axis 180, Left same as right. What I don’t understand is the Axis. I don’t understand those new figures 5.0 and 1.0 when it used to be 180, is there other way to read them?
I am 13 years of age right and I have been wearing glasses for two years and I’ve noticed that within every check up I get in Specsavers it’s getting bad every check up, and this leaves me clueless due to that fact that I rarely play video games, have breaks when doing school work and I eat a wide variety of fruits. Is there an alternative as to what can be done to increase my chance of my eyesight getting better.
I’ve been unwell for a few days with a fever, aches etc and today have noticed the outside corner of my right eye looks really red, almost like it’s bleeding. What could be the cause of this please?
I am dental student and wanted to know if buying cheap loupes would be bad for your eyes in the long run. There are some available on Ebay/Amazaon for £70 with headlights, this is much cheaper than the big brands.
I have had the health of my eyes checked and everything is fine. Apparently I have amblyopia in my right eye and also astigmatism in my right eye. My right eye is -3.00 but my left eye has no prescription and is fine. I wear glasses for driving and watching tv. Does this sound unusual to you? I am 41.
Can an optometrist conduct a contact lense fit before a patient’s sight test is due?
Can I do a contact lens aftercare before a sight test on the same day?
My eyes have been having problems for the last six months or so. When watching TV or studying or sometimes just in general they have a really bad ache to them and they make me want to shut my eyes a lot.
Is there a particular time where you bring out new frames? I picked up my glasses today, but it took me forever to find a pair that I liked and that fit me too, in the end I went with teens glasses.
My five year old daughter has had her glasses for two weeks now. Shed has +6.25 and +5.25 in both eyes. We never noticed any eye problems before and she is reading and writing well.