Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Elizabeth Lumb BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Best BSc (Hons) MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
If I’m in a sunlit room or am outside even on an overcast day I can see lots and lots of bright moving spots against the sky. They move very fast in every direction and sometimes appear like a flash of light against the sky. They are proving very difficult to ignore, maybe because I am starting to obsess and panic.
Boots recommended varifocals on 19.05.13 & I wanted to check they are appropriate to my eyes, which have different strengths. Looking back at my past prescriptions, my eyes have been this different since 2009, & nobody has recommended varifocals before.
I would like to wear contact lens and am only 13 years old. What should I do and am I allowed?
Do under 16′s get free coloured contact lenses paid for by the NHS? Even if they have very bad eye sight?
I have been trying contact lenses, and I only have one set of left and right contact lenses but only have two left ones left. Can I put the two left lenses in my right and left eye?
I wear gas permeable lenses but have been told to switch to glasses as I have ptosis and am having focusing problems. I am 42 and have worn the GP lenses for 30 years, I have been told I need varifocals. How long should I leave my lenses out to get a true eye test result?
Why when purchaseing £69 glasses advertised as 2 for 1 not apply when you have Reaction lenses fitted?
My five year old daughter has a prescription of -12. Any idea where I would be able to get swimming goggles for her and are they likely to be very expensive due to the strength?
I have worn reading glasses for many years but have just been prescribed glasses to wear more often, concentrated work. When I put my glasses on they make everything sharper, like moving from watching normal tv to HD tv. For a while they feel fine then my eyes start to ache and I can feel a little dizzy and sick; when I take them off and am walking around I feel dizzy, almost like a I’m drunk, and a little sick. Do you think it is just my eyes getting used to glasses, the wrong prescription, or more likely to be a more medical issues, a virus for example?
I went for an eye test yesterday with these results
RE 0.00, -0.75, 160.0
LE +0.25, -0.50, 30.0
What does this mean please?
Also they told me that one of pupils is bigger than the other is this something to worry about?