Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
My glasses prescription only has numbers in the sphere box is that correct?
What strength ready readers?
I have my wife’s prescription but am unsure which strength ready readers/OTC glasses to buy for her.
The : prescription is as below:
Sph Cyl Axis Sph Cyl Axis Base
Right -1.25 -1.25 20.0 Distance +0.75 -0.75 170.0 LEFT
+2.75 -1.25 20.0 Near +2.25 -0.75 170.0
So what Strength glasses?
I was reading articles online and suddenly realised that I couldn’t focus properly, as if a stubborn light spot was in my eye and blocking a tiny bit of my vision, making reading irritable.
Do you get my details from my previous opticians if I change to Specsavers as I’m diabetic?
I’m due to go for a DVLA field test next week, I was just asking if during the test do I wear my glasses as they are for driving?
I have been prescribed lenses which correct vision for both reading and using a computer screen (i.e. close and arms length). Do Specsavers sell glasses with this type of lens?
I have a HC3 certificate and I need new glasses as my current pair have recently broke. I went into my local Specsavers today to get a new pair but they were unsure how the HC3 certificate works and basically said I would better off not using it. Could you explain to me what the certificate entitled me to?
I only need to wear a contact lens in one eye and I’ve been told because of this I need a lens without a handling tint. Is this correct?
I had a blood clot in my right eye 10 years ago. It was very short sighted but my left eye had good vision/long sighted. They give me plain glass in the right eye now and varifocal in the left.
My daughter is 10 and she gets what she calls wobble eyes. This can happen 5 – 10 times a day. We have seen specialists and they have found nothing. But it seems to be getting worse.