Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
This morning I woke up and my right eye has had difficulty focusing on objects nearby and far away (worse at a distance). It is taking a second or two to focus and then loses focus the moment I move my head.
One day all is fine the and my contacts are comfortable and removing them leaves my eyes feeling good. The next day I fall asleep with my lenses in for about two hours and when I take them out my eye feels like it has sand in it. I could not close my eye because of the pain which made it impossible to fall asleep.
Can I have a checkup at Specsavers after laser surgery in another country?
How many hours per day can I wear Air Optix for Astigmatism?
Is 1.5 basic plastic lenses high index?
I am concerned about my eyesight, I required glasses few years back initially I needed them for general use, and then around one year later I needed to wear them full-time. Ever since I have needed glasses I am being increasingly dependant on them, I am severely long sighted with a degree of astigmatism.
I have been wearing glasses and contacts for years. Last week I was told I have astigmatism in each eye. The left eye isn’t bad enough for an astigmatism lens but my right eye was.
I have worn glasses for about 11 year now, I first needed them for in the class and watching TV, as time passed my eyesight deteriorated and I need to wear them full-time. I can’t see much without my glasses at distance.
I have been given a letter by my rheumatology nurse saying I am being considered for Hydroxychloroquine therapy for arthritis and asking my optician to perform a full assessment of my eyes for potential retinal toxicity.