Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
Why do I see like beams coming out of street lights etc at night time! Been happening for nearly two years now and it is bothering me, do I need glasses?
I am 82 and have lost my glasses from speck savers will the NHS help. Regards William
I’ve been having issues with faint “double vision” or ghost images for a while now. It is only present when I look at bright lights or sharp contrasts such as a white text against a black background (and a light shining on the text).
I am 19 and my night vision is bad. It is quite, staticy, fuzzy, grainy would be the best way to describe it. During the day I don’t notice it because of the good lighting but at night if I look into an area of the room that’s darks it is fuzzy and grainy.
Following cataract surgery with toric IOLs I now have a residual astigmatism in one eye. The right has no astigmatism. But the left has -0.50 astigmatism. My optician gave me glasses with a 1 prism in both eyes and I could not tolerate this, it made me feel dizzy. Do I need prisms?
I have lost my right peripheral vision in both eyes from a brain surgery in 1999 & 2000. The doctors warned me before surgery that I will not be able to drive at all. Can you explain to me throughly why it is not recommended to drive?
I’m not sure when I’m supposed to wear my glasses?
I have just started to wear contact lenses (toric). The trial went well and I picked up my prescription six days ago. The first two days were fine but ever since everything seems to be blurry. I have to use over readers for close work but even they don’t seem as good now!
I started to get conjunctivitis on Tuesday night. I bath my eyes with cotton wool and cooled down boiled water. I woke up in the middle of the night (early hours Wednesday) to my eyes being stuck together.
I am about to buy glasses online from the site link below and am not sure if this is suitable to my prescription needs. I have filled in the boxes to the best of my ability to match the prescription details outlined below.