Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I got about four years ago in Belfast branch glasses from Gok collection. One side in broke- probably needs new screwing in on the side. As I don’t wear glasses too much, wanted to ask how much it would cost – if close to purchasing new frames or not.
I just got my new glasses from Specsavers. I have the feeling there is something wrong but difficult to describe. My vision is somehow distorted in particular when I am looking downwards.
I use Bausch & Lomb softlens multifocal. Does this relate to Add power – which would be shown as either high or low on the carton prescription details. Should the “Add” have a figure (say 2.00) or does the “high” override the need for a figure.
I know this question is already been asked in 2013, but just wanted to check now in 2015 are there photochromic contact lenses available in the market? This would really help people with photophobic a lot!
I think there’s a typo on my prescription, but I can’t get through to my Specsavers branch to check. She told me I’m long-sighted on the left, and short-sighted on the right, with slight astigmatism on the left too.
I am ordering some new glasses online and it’s asking me what I need them for:
distance, reading, computer.
My unaided vision is 6/30+1 in my right eye and 6/7.5-2 in my left and binoc 6/7.5 and aided 6/6-1 in right eye and 6/6 left and 6/5 binoc. I was wondering if I meet the police eyesight standards when it says uncorrected visual acuity must be 6/36 or better binocularly and correction must be worn where necessary to achieve 6/6 binocularly
My eight year old son has mentioned that he sometimes sees coloured shapes. I’m not sure if it is linked but he quite often pull his eyelid away from his eye as well. On the whole his eye sight seems very good in terms of what he is able to see at distance. Any thoughts as to what these things are and if they are linked?
My son, who is 15 is experiencing some eye problems. He says it’s difficult to explain, but is like a semi-opaque layer made up of dots, which sometimes flash on and off. He says he’s had it for quite a while but it’s got much worse more recently.
So lately I’m starting to get eyestrain and mostly it happens on my left eye only and I’m not sure if that is okay. I am starting to get a constant headaches that happen about once a week.