Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I have double vision in my eyes for the last one year, but the deflection is minor that’s why doctors can’t go for a surgery. I have gone through all the tests like MRI scan (both eyes and brain) but everything is normal. So doctors prescribed prism,which is 3 degree base up in left and 3 degree base down in right eye. I want to ask that is there any chance that eyes will get perfect…or what care should be taken to correct this?
I had my eyes test by Specsavers and mentioned I get blinded by oncoming headlights at night on country lanes (drive some 30 miles on country lanes).
Yesterday I got my new glasses for the first time. But when I stand still and look at some flat objects like the road, or LCD screen of my PC, or table they appear to be up from the right side and down from left side.
I suffer from chronic migraines, and after several lifestyle changes I have narrowed down the triggers to bright light, both from the sun and artificial. I wear glasses, my prescription isn’t too bad but I definitely prefer to wear them and enable me to see more clearly.
I am short sighted and the optician said that the power of the lenses has stayed the same it is just my astigmatism which has got slightly worse. When I put on my new glasses things look a lot smaller than what they do when I look at them without my glasses.
I keep getting a pain in my left eye which can feel like a bad headache. I also keep feeling more so on a night that my eyes feel heavy and I feel tired. Also I keep getting funny vision, could this mean I might need glasses?
Do you do toric contact lenses for -15.00? The maximum I’ve seen is -9.00. What if any are my options?
I have just been prescribed varifocals and I am only 18, is this usual or are my eyes really bad?
What is an optician checking when he shows a child of six years a chart which has only 6 or 7 letters with a box around them? Also do you do the dyslexia colour test for kids?
I have quite good eyesight but the last few weeks I’ve found I get a sore head if I focus on something for too long. Today my headache is really bad I’m finding it hard to focus on most things?