Specsavers in Peterborough Serpentine Green is dispelling myths and advising on best practise for contact lenses.
Store director Steve Emmingham says: ‘People often shy away from contact lenses because they think they’re too complicated to use. ‘We want to show people that anyone can use them and we are here to offer a step-by-step guide for a comfortable fit with the highest quality of care.’
Steve has pulled together his top tips for getting on the right track with contact lenses.
- Myth no.1 – “They’re difficult to use” It's true it takes a bit of practice to use contact lenses but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. At Specsavers, if you decide to try contact lenses, we’ll sit down and do a test run with you. We’ll show you how to put them in and take them out, go over the dos and don'ts and answer any questions you may have. Before you leave, we'll make sure you're confident with your new lenses, and we'll keep in touch afterwards making sure you're getting on with them.
- Myth no.2 – “I’m too young or old for contact lenses” There's no 'official' age you can start wearing contact lenses. It really depends on whether the optician believes someone is mature enough, and capable enough, to do so. Pop in-store and we'll talk you through the process and help you decide whether or not contact lenses would be appropriate for your child.
- Myth no.3 – “They’re uncomfortable” Over the last few years, technology has moved forward at an unbelievable rate. So if you tried contacts before and didn’t get on with them, it may be time to give them a second chance. Today's lenses are made with high-tech materials, like silicone hydrogel, that lets lots more oxygen into your eye, ensuring adequate hydration and comfort. Contact lenses are now so comfortable you wouldn’t even know you’re wearing them.
- Myth no.4 – “They're a hassle” You might think that contact lenses are complicated, but that's not really the case. Using contact lenses is no more time consuming – or difficult – than brushing your teeth. Daily disposable lenses are super easy – you wear them once and then throw them away. No cleaning. No hassle. And they're great for those occasional times you don't want to wear glasses, like when you play sports or want to change your look for a special event.
- Myth no.5 – “My prescription is too complex for contact lenses” Almost all glasses wearers could use contact lenses. So if you thought your prescription was too complicated, think again. You can even get varifocal and bifocal lenses. Whatever your prescription, there’s almost certainly a contact lens for you.