During a routine check-up at the Mold store, optometrist director Keith Martin discovered that one customer showed signs of swollen optic discs. Sian King, a student midwife from Mold, was immediately referred as an emergency to Abergele Eye Hospital. 

There, she underwent further tests and was eventually diagnosed with raised pressure inside her skull, which in turn can be caused by a possible brain tumour. Sian was sent for a CT scan and while it revealed no signs of a brain tumour, it did show a lot of excess fluid on her brain.

'A ticking time bomb'

Sian said: ‘If it hadn’t had been picked up by Keith at Specsavers, I would have continued walking around as a ticking time bomb. The doctors told me I could have suffered from a stroke, a brain aneurism, or gone blind had I not been treated so quickly.’

Sian had a lumbar puncture to remove the fluid from her brain and is now recovering following a successful procedure. She added: ‘I can’t thank the team at Specsavers Mold enough, they were all so lovely and approachable through what was a terrifying experience.

‘People think you should only go and get your eyes tested if you wear glasses, but your eyes are the window to your brain and there’s so much that could be going on behind there.’

Keith Martin, optometrist director at Mold Specsavers, said: ‘It’s always rewarding to hear that the work our team has done has helped to save customers, such as Sian, from such serious health complications.

‘This case in particular highlights just how important it is to have a regular eye test. We recommend everyone has an eye test at least every two years, or whenever they notice even a small change to their vision or eye health.’

All Mold store information