With the winter season comes fog, rain, snow and ice. Consequently, the poor weather conditions are not only an increased risk for drivers but for pedestrians also. Specsavers Huntingdon is offering the following advice to parents to help keep their children safe this winter.
Tips on road safety
1. Make sure you are always visible. High visibility jacket are great but there are other options too. Light reflective stickers are available for bags, lights for bikes and scooters, torches for walking on the pavements.
2. Explain road safety rules to your children when out and about. Encourage your child to talk about these rules; what they see on the road, what they think is safe and not safe.
3. With your help and guidance, start to engage your child in making decisions about road safety. For example, by telling you when they think it is safe to cross the road.
4. When walking with children, encourage your child to walk away from the pavement edge
5. Both you and your child should have your sight checked regularly. As parents, we have a responsibility to see children on the road, and also, we have a responsibility to ensure a child can see all the hazards when out on pavements and near busy roads.
If you have any concerns about your or your child’s sight, the Specsavers Huntingdon team are here to help and answer your questions.