The team at Specsavers Ely is reminding residents to be road safety aware this month.
Be safe, be seen
Snow, rain, ice - all bring their hazards for drivers. But it is also important to keep children safe when on the roads and pavements too.
With this in mind, Specsavers Ely has a few simple tips for parents to be sure children are kept safe when out and about this Christmas time:
- Be visible. High visibility jacket are great but there are other options too. Get light reflective stickers for bags, lights for bikes and scooters, torches for walking on the pavements.
- Explain road safety rules. Encourage your child to talk about these rules, what they see on the road, what they think is safe and not safe
- Offer help and guidance. Start to engage your child in making decisions about road safety. For example, by telling you when they think it is safe to cross the road
- Step away from the edge. When walking with children, encourage your child to walk away from the pavement edge
- Get your sight checked. Both you and your child should have your sight checked regularly. As parents, we have a responsibility to see children on the road, and also, we have a responsibility to ensure a child can see all the hazards when out on pavements and near busy roads.