Get to know your local optician
The South Shields store has been a familiar sight in the town centre for over twenty years, but did you know some of these interesting facts?
1. Its doors were opened for the first time ago 25 years ago in 1992 by director Bryan Clark
2. It opened with just seven members of staff, plus Bryan- and now has 32 people looking after the town’s eye health.
3. Of the original seven members of staff, six are still working alongside Bryan. This means the original team have nearly 200 years of eye care experience between them.
4. Seventeen of the remaining team members have each worked at the store for over ten years.
5. There is currently one apprentice working at the store.
6. Past apprentices include Marc Nicholl who is now the store’s dispensing optician.
7. Andrew Gillies began working at the King Street store on as a ‘Saturday boy’ – he then returned to the store during his degree for work experience, completed his pre-registration year there and is now one of the store’s opticians.
8. The store has five eye testing rooms and can carry out 350 eye tests each week.
9. Customers have 1,100 frames to choose from.
10. The team at South Shields has won numerous awards over the years including the prestigious ‘Community Practice of the Year Award’ from Optician Magazine.
A word from the store director
Bryan Clark, director of Specsavers in South Shields, said: ‘We are very proud to have served the community here for nearly twenty-five years.
‘We have some families who have been customers for all of these years and we have watched their families grow as our own instore family has grown.’