Store partner Hitesh Solanki says: ‘A fire was discovered at our Coventry store early on the morning of 30th December by one of the store’s cleaning staff, who took swift and appropriate action by leaving the store and immediately contacting the emergency services, who were quickly on the scene to deal with the situation.
‘No other staff or people in the vicinity were injured, although one firefighter was treated in hospital for the effects of the heat and has since been discharged. The cleaner was also shaken and her family have been contacted and she is being cared for.
‘The store is likely to remain closed for the foreseeable future due to extensive damage on the ground floor. No other businesses in the area are unduly affected'.
Advice for customers
‘Customers are being advised to call 0115 933 0877 so that alternative arrangements can be made for them at nearby Specsavers stores.
‘Every effort is also being made to contact customers directly who already have appointments or collections booked with us.
Coventry store staff are being redeployed to those local stores to help manage the additional demand. The Cheylesmore store at has since extended opening hours to help accomodate Coventry customers needing glasses, contact lenses or hearing aids.
‘We have the highest praise for our cleaner, who did exactly the right thing. Her swift response helped to ensure that the emergency services could bring the situation quickly under control.
‘We regret any inconvenience caused to our customers but are extremely thankful that no one was injured and hope that business can return to normal as soon as possible.’