Be safe and seen in Dagenham
Christmas is an exciting time but one where roads become busy and pedestrains therefore experience an increased risk when out and about shopping.
Stay safe, be seen
Specsavers Dagenham is reminding residents and its customers to be road safety aware this month. Store director Gurjit Singh Sehmi says: 'We all know that driving in the winter has its hazards - rain, ice and sometimes, even snow. Not only is it hazardous for a driver, but also for families walking on the pavements. With this in mind, we have a few tips to share that will keep everyone road safety aware this December.'
Gurjit shares the following 5 tips:
- Be visible at all times. High visibility jacket are great but there are other options too. Get light reflective stickers for bags, lights for bikes and scooters, torches for walking on the pavements.
- Talk to your children. Explain road safety rules to your children when out and about. Encourage your child to talk about these rules, what they see on the road, what they think is safe and not safe.
- Help your children be informed. With your help and guidance, start to engage your child in making decisions about road safety. For example, by telling you when they think it is safe to cross the road.
- Never walk by road edge. When walking with children, encourage your child to walk away from the pavement edge.
- Check your eyesight. Both you and your child should have your sight checked regularly. As parents, we have a responsibility to see children on the road, and also, we have a responsibility to ensure a child can see all the hazards when out on pavements and near busy roads.