Be road safety aware this Christmas
Winter driving can bring testing conditions for all drivers - snow, rain and ice - and with bad weather is an increased risk to pedestrians on the roads.
Be road safety aware
With this in mind, the team here at Specsavers are offering some simple but important tips to keep you and your family safe this Christmas time.
Top tips on road safety
- Make sure you are always visible. High visibility jacket are great but there are other options too. Get light reflective stickers for bags, lights for bikes and scooters, torches for walking on the pavements
- Explain road safety rules to your children when out and about. Encourage your child to talk about these rules, what they see on the road, what they think is safe and not safe.
- With your help and guidance, start to engage your child in making decisions about road safety. For example, by telling you when they think it is safe to cross the road.
- When walking with children, encourage your child to walk away from the pavement edge
- Both you and your child should have your sight checked regularly. As parents, we have a responsibility to see children on the road, and also, we have a responsibility to ensure a child can see all the hazards when out on pavements and near busy roads.
For more advice and tips, THINK! Road Safety has some fun games here for children to play (aged 6 upwards).