I use a computer all day, how can I reduce the symptoms of eye strain?
Most (if not all) symptoms of eye strain can be helped by altering your work space, work style and environment. Here are some easy tips:
- Your monitor should be between 18-30 inches from your eyes
- The top of the screen should be at eye level or below, so you have to look down slightly at your work
- Your keyboard should be placed directly in front of the monitor
- Use a copy stand for reading materials at the same angle and distance as the monitor
- Tilt the monitor downwards or move it to a different position on your desk so that the brightest light sources are to the side, parallel to the user's line of sight to the monitor (alternatively, you can use screen shields or filters)
- Try to take eye breaks by looking away from the screen every ten to fifteen minutes, and every two hours move away from the computer to give both your body and eyes a break.
You should seek professional advice if you are concerned about your eye health.Book an eye test