Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I recently had my eyes tested at my local Specsavers, but I want to understand my prescription a bit better. My Right eye was +0.25/-0.75 x15. My Left eye just had the infinity sign next to it, no measurments? What does this mean? Does this eye not need a prescription?
I have minor astigmatism ( cyl -0.25 in both eyes; axis 90.0 (R) and 80.0 (L); would it be okay to not get glasses to correct for astigmatism, and just for my sph reading?
I wear glasses originally to solve my constant headaches and eye strain however it have been at least 10 months now and I have still been having constant headaches/migraines. Also, some days my eyes have a burning sensation which makes me not want to wear my glasses. I fear this is making my sight worse.
I’m 19 and am shortsighted (-2 in both eyes roughly). Since my last eye test I have notice one of my eyes is blurrier when reading text.
There is nothing wrong with my eyes and I don’t have a prescription or anything, I recently bought coloured contacts but I was wondering if there any trials about how to put them on?
I am 20 years old and haven’t worn glasses since I was 8, about three days ago I went to the eye doctor and was told that I’m extremely far sighted and I have astigmatism, and my left eye is worse than my right.
My glasses prescription is SPH Right 0.00 Left 0.25, with a Near Add of 0.50. Do I really need glasses?
I’ve been prescribed Right sphere +1.25 cyl -0.25 axis 105 add +1.00. Left sphere +1.25 Cyl -0.50 Axis 60 Add +1.00. PD 66. What does it mean?
I have been told that I have asymmetric optic nerves, my optician was very clear that there is no need to worry and that they may have always been like that- I’m just wondering if there is anything in the long term that this could affect or anything I should keep an eye out for (I understand there is a link between this asymmetry and glaucoma?)