Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I’m a graphic designer who wears contact lenses/glasses. I am in front of a computer screen for eight hours + each day. When wearing my contact lenses I get headaches and experience difficulty concentrating, however when I wear my glasses this doesn’t happen as often.
My current prescription is varifocal fitted in a Lite 192 frame. I also have prescription sunglasses to the same prescription.
I have both long and shortsight, are contact lenses available?
I am new to wearing contact lenses. The lenses I am trialing don’t appear to be as sharp as my glasses close up or distance. Is this a case of trialing different prescriptions until I feel comfortable with my vision?
I’m currently in Laos and after going in a river, I now have pink eye which appeared on Monday morning. I have got eye drops from a local pharmacy and my eye is now less sore, no longer sensitive to light and has opened up more.
I have recently received my first pair of glasses for long distance and an astigmatism in one of my eyes. However when I wear my new glasses all squares and rectangles appear as trapezoids. This is more apparent with objects closer to me. Is this normal or should I go get it checked out?
I have two prescriptions for my daughter aged six as went to private opticians pending a long wait for the public appointment. I have never worn glasses and have no idea what they interpret as. Are the two prescriptions similar?
After wearing my contact lenses which I don’t have any issues with, when I take them out the right eye feels like it has something in it which goes away after having a sleep or my eyes resting for a period of time.
I went to Walmart and had my eye checked. They gave me a prescription for the following lens.
I am having a huge amount of trouble keeping my left eye open. I’m 62, had my vision checked recently and it’s OK, but started a computer program of exercises for Binocular Vision problems after Christmas and I also just experienced a Vitreous Separation in my left eye two weeks ago.