Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Elizabeth Lumb BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Best BSc (Hons) MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I just picked up my new glasses. They are the first pair I have ever had. I got prescribed them because I was told I have a muscle imbalance in my eyes and that I am slightly short sighted after an eye test (which I got due to headaches/eye-strain).
When I look at colours on tv in one eye they change eg. yellow goes white green goes blue. Do you have any advise for me? I have macular degeneration in that eye. I was told by the optician to go immediatly to hospital if this happened.
Hello, I’m 24 years old, and I had an eyetest 8 months ago. I am short-sighted (-1.00L and -1.25R), and I have astigmatism in both eyes.
I’m 24 years old, and I had an eyetest eight months ago. I am short-sighted (-1.00L and -1.25R), and I have astigmatism in both eyes.
I’ve been having regular tests and new glasses since I was 11. I have to wear varifocals normally, but I have non-varifocal pair of glasses for working at my desk at work too.
Can I convert from toric lenses to normal soft lenses? Would it be the same prescription?
I’m into my second month with toric lenses from Specsavers. The first month seemed to pass relatively trouble free, I could sense my eyes getting a little more drier/tired than usual but nothing too troublesome.
I have just left the specsavers opticians in Christchurch after being told that I have early onset of dry amd, it was recommended that I google the condition to find the lastest recommended supplements. It was suggested that I-Cap or Macushield were possibles, I see from an earlier question that lutein and zeaxanthin are suggested. What is the lastest supplement please.
I was fitted for contact lenses a few weeks ago and toric lenses were ordered as I have a severe astigmatism in my right eye. My left eye has fairly good vision, however this has deteriorated slightly and therefore I felt rather than having to wear my glasses all the time, I would opt for contact lenses.
One of my contact lenses has been stuck in my eye for a day and night.
Could I go into Specsavers to have it removed?
I have had a thyroidectomy around two years ago. Recently my eyes are streaming water and they really get swollen and red and sore when I go to bed. In the morning I can hardly drive to work they are so sensitive to light. I use natural tears all the time but I think maybe my tear channels are blocked or something.
Is it normal for one eyeball to stick out more than the other? I have just noticed this.