Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I have a +10 prescription in both eyes, would a 1.74 double aspheric lens provide clearer vision at the edges and a thinner appearance? Also is the best way to keep my lens thickness down to choose the smallest frame possible?
I’m 20 and have moderate and high myopia also I’m quite astigmatic however sometimes at home I like to take my glasses off for prolonged periods of time. I was jus wondering can this damage my eyes not wearing my specs?
I am wearing my reading glasses to help with my migraine headache. It helps a lot and stops my headache. But when I remove them at other times when I’m not reading I get my headache back. Can I wear them continuously? Power prescribed is 0.75 for both eyes.
I’ve been wearing lens for a past few months. Recently, after I take my lens out I feel pain whenever I blink and I feel like there’s something on the inner of my eyelids. I’d seen a doctor and he gave me this bactigen eye drops. My question is it is because of bacteria or my cornea has been scratched by the lenses? And what should I do because I’m so worried if Im going to be blind.
I was having headaches and went to have my eyes checked (I work 9-12 hours a day using dual 22” monitors).
I wear uvicia toric monthly lenses I just wanted to know if they are a type of silicone hydrogel lens because I notice that after about seven hours of wear my sight starts to become a bit blurred. If these are not then should I try silicone hydrogel lenses?
My four year old failed vision test at school so was referred to the eye hospital. She has astigmatism in both eyes and distorted vision too (long sighted).
I am 18 years old, and I have signed for a flying academy in Oxford because I was dreaming to become a pilot in the future. But I am facing a problem at this stage which is my vision.
I’ve had a home visit before from Specsavers a couple of years ago as I’m disabled and bed bound. I was prescribed glasses, I’ve had type two diabetes for a few months now and my eyesight is getting very blurred so need a test and new glasses. Do I get any help with my glasses as I’m now a pensioner and also get disabled living allowance.
I have had a contact lens trial at another opticians for monthly lenses, can I use my prescription from them and buy daily contact lenses from Specsavers?