Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I have been having problems with my right eye since April this year. It started with my vision changing quite rapidly. I got my contacts and glasses up to date with Specsavers which helped at first. However, I seem to be rapidly getting floaters in my right eye, and also it is like having a veil in my eye. On bright days, or if I look at a plain surface, I find it quite hard to focus.
I have been requested by the DVLA to have a field of vision test carried out, on booking my appointment I was told that I need to have an eye test prior to the fields test and its possible new glasses have to be made up, my present glasses are only one year and two weeks old, is this the case.
I recently got my eyes tested at Specsavers. The optometrist spent a considerable amount of time getting everything crystal clear. Due to the lens thickness, coatings, etc. I wanted (which weren’t available at Specsavers) I had my glasses reglazed elsewhere. This is a frame I’v been using for 5+ years. I received the reglazed glasses yesterday.
Is there a solution to feeling sick after only a couple of minuets of using reading glasses?
I’ve had them for a few weeks and it has not improved. I can’t find an answer online, what can I do if I can’t adjust?
I have a cold and my eyes are a bit watery,would my eye test tomorrow be reliable or should I cancel?
I recently went for an eye exam, just to make sure my eyes were okay, although apparently I did not need glasses. I feel my vision is not perfect and maybe I could benefit from glasses.
Do I have to use specsavers to have my binocular eye test for the DVLA or can I use any optician or consultant licenced to administer the test?
I was diagnosed with Lattice Degeneration in my left eye recently, which I understand is fairly benign. He seemed to spot it pretty quickly. I am 41 years old.
I’ve just got glasses for the first time, with a prescription of +2.25 (with a -0.5 cylinder) and +1 in the other. Putting the glasses on for the first time didn’t make seeing easier, and after wearing them for a day, I’m still struggling to focus well with them on.
If I have a sphere of +1.5 with a +1 add, what is the actual strength of my bifocal? +2.5?