Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I collected my new glasses from Specsavers about 2 months ago and my prescription had changed in both eyes.
Old prescription: L: -0.5 R: -0.5
New prescription: L: -0.75 R: -0.75
I don’t have an astigmatism.
I have cataracts in both eyes and registered at a opticians in Huddersfield. Probably a stupid question but would I need my prescription from there to get suitable glasses for myself or will they be able to pick it up if I go for an eye test somewhere else as I don’t live in Huddersfield anymore.
Distance is R +0.75 -1.25 X 95
L -2.50 -1.75 X 70
What is the correct reading lenses power?
Is it safe to use optrex for dry eyes if already diagnosed with age related macular degeneration
I have just started wearing varifocals and when I look at things in the distance with a natural head position they are blurred, I have to tip my head down in an exaggerated and rather uncomfortble way to view things through the top 25% of the glasses to have good focus. Near things and reading are fine. It feels like the transition of change from distance to near is set too high up the lens for me.
I’m 13 years old and I’m shortsighted but I don’t wear glasses full-time. Today I was doing my homework and out of nowhere my left eye began to show bright lights at the corner and it moves with my eye.
I recently went for an eye test and my eyes are fine. My only problem is they are very sensitive and suffer from eye strain and headaches especially when watching tv and on the computer. Do you provide glasses which have tints and provide antiglare?
I have used the amsler grid for the past few days and have noticed that some of the lines look wavy. I’ve had problems with my vision for a while. I’ve had an OCT of macula (about six weeks ago) and everything was fine. Is there anything else that could cause these lines to look distorted? I am 23.
I’m 29 and recently had an eye test update as I used my glasses for driving and TV, but my old ones were a bit weak. New eye test and a pair of glasses later I was curious about contact lenses as anything further than a few feet away was blurry.
I got my new glasses about a month ago, I have worn glasses for many years so understand that with a new pair it can take a bit of adjustment time but with this pair I’m really struggling.