Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I’m a 22 year old graphic designer who wears contact lenses/glasses. I am in front of a computer screen for eight hours + each day. When wearing my contact lenses I get headaches and experience difficulty concentrating, brain fog, confusion etc, however when I wear my glasses this doesn’t happen as often.
I have just had a new eye test. My right eye is +0.50 +0.25 95. My left is +1.00 +0.50. 60
I was told I need to wear them for close up work and also would help when concentrating on tv or at cinema and would help me with driving. Does that mean I need to wear them all the time?
Yesterday I broke my glasses and with my previous prescription being 15 months old, I opted to have a new eye test before replacing the glasses. I had the test at Optical Express as the test was free however I’m not sure that the new prescription is okay.
Why do you have your eyes tested every two years and not often as eyes are very precious?
Got some new glasses with the prescription of sph +9.25 cyl -0.75 axis 160 but I can’t get used to them, make my eyes feel strained so I got eyes tested again and the results were +9.00 cyl -0.75 axis 160 so I’m after getting new glasses, would there be much change with new prescription?
I have had flashings in one eye and it is now like looking through a lace curtain. I have an eye test this afternoon – should I go to the doctor and get referred to the hospital eye clinic instead?
My 23 year old step daughter has a little brown pin head spot in her left eye which has a little aurora around it, she said it wasn’t there yesterday and when she looks towards light it hurts. Any idea on what it could be?
I have monovision contacts and bifocal glasses. I would like to wear glasses with my prescription on the left side and a contact that focuses up close with clear glass in the frame. is that Possible?
I live in Austria and due to outdoor lifestyle wear contact lenses most days (but not every day, and not all the day). My last lens prescription from Specsavers was -5.25 in one eye and -4.50 in the other – I have since found out this was to help with reading.
I have red prominent vessels visible around my eye ball. Also on upper right corners /inside prominent ref swollen glands can be seen by lifting upper eye lid.