Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I don’t have any problems seeing but one thing I have noticed is on signs that the writing is lit up eg. the notices in a train station it is not always 100% clear compared with if it was just written normally. Sometimes its similar when reading powerpoint presentations, I can read the writing its just not as clear as normal signs. What does this mean?
I went to Specsavers recently for an eye test and asked them for advice on light lenses for migraines. They said they could not help and I need to go to the doctors. The prescription I need is minimal and I don’t really need prescription glasses. I only want lightly tinted glasses to wear indoors for computers and lights etc. They would not allow me to purchase frames and have a tinted lens without the prescription. I’m starting a new job next week and I need to get some protection for my eyes so I minimise the risk of a migraine attack. Can you help as Im running out of time. Boots wouldn’t help either so my only option is to buy glasses from America which seems stupid.
I’m thinking of getting a second pair of varifocals, this time with Reactions lenses. Can I still have an anti reflective coating as per Ultraclear lenses, or do Reactions eliminate the need for an AR coating?
Do your glasses have to meet any specifications if you use clip-on safety eyewear?
i.e. flip-down lenses and clip on side shields.
I have an eyelash ingrowing into my upper eyelid. What should I do?
I forgot to take out my Ortho-K lenses during the day for eight hours. Now my vision is blurred although it wasn’t the previous day. My glasses do not correct this. What do you suggest I do?
I’ve been getting some symptoms recently which all connect to MS. I’m waiting to see a neurologist,but two weeks ago I had an eye test done on doctors referral because of headaches. Nothing showed up except wavy blood vessels. Would the eye test have detected MS at all?
If my eyes are -1.25 is that within the legal requirement to drive a HGV class 1?
I have flashing lights at the corner of both eyes, badly bloodshot, loads of floaters and headaches.
My glasses have no frame. They have a hole in the lens and a small bar bends around and holds the arm of the glasses. The bar has snapped. Is it possible to fit this ? It has snapped at the point where it comes out of the lens.