Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
When I am in the sun my eyes hurt and then I get a headache after this and it makes my eyes itchy and sore and sometimes throb when I close my eyelid. What can this be and how can I help it.
I have just had an eye test and that my prescription reads R-0.75 and L-0.75 ( sph) and (Near-Add) +1.75R L+1.75. I have never had to wear glasses before or even to choose a pair but one of the team said that I need reading glasses but the other person who was showing me the range of glasses was telling me that I should be buying varifocals!
I had an eye infection last week, spreading to both eyes very rapidly. I saw my GP (as I also had a nasty flu) who advised me my eyes would clear in time. I am now better but both my eyes are blurred even with contact lenses.
My child has been selected at school as possibly having poor vision. He has been to have an eye test but refused to have the drops in his eye and seems to have developed a phobia. Is there an other way to test his eyes as he is five and is falling behind at school due to reading books.
I have just changed my glasses three days ago and I feel that my right eye is straining. For all I can see the strain is giving me a headache. I got the prescription from boots but choose Specsavers for my frames. Who will I need to speak to see about changing my prescription?
I am in full-time education and get free prescription glasses, can I also get prescription sunglasses on the NHS?
I recently had my eyes tested. I want to order some of your daily disposable contact lenses on line. But I don’t know what the base curve is for each of my eyes?
My prescription is- Left eye Sphere -2.00, Cyl. -2.50 and axis 167
My right lens is a balance lens Sphere 0, Cyl -2.50 and axis 15
Are these types of lenses thicker towards the outer edge? If so, should I choose smaller frames and higher index lenses as I wear glasses full time and as well as being able to see I would also like to look nice!
I have been experiencing pain behind my right eye, feels like pressure behind my eye. Feels better if I put pressure on it too. My glasses are not helping and hurts more to look at a screen for any length of time.
Is my eyesight bad? I also have dry eyes. I am wearing the glass prescribed as above and still having a headache.