Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I have a question regarding a free NHS optical voucher. I went for an eye test today (with my partner – who also had her eyes tested) and when I came to buy my glasses there was a problem, they told me I wasn’t entitled to an NHS optical voucher.
I had an Esterman Field Vision Test at one of your opticians today. I had five missing points , all in the upper left quadrant well away from the central area.
My glasses prescription is-6.50, my optician gave me contact lenses with -5.75 strength. Is that correct?
Is it possible to wear glasses when you don’t actually need them that wont ruin your eye site? And if so where can you buy them from?
I am 41. Is it a big change that one of my eyes has changed from -1.75 to -2.75 in four years?
I currently have glasses, however struggle to read black on a white background, this is made slightly easier if the text size is of a larger size. Please can you explain why this is?
Is it safe to wear unopened daily disposable soft contact lenses that I got 10 months ago? No problems with my eyes, just don’t really need contact lenses for school.
I have a high prescription for both astigmatism and myopia. The type of contact lenses I use do not fill the prescription. I don’t want to appear goofy using thick glasses and so can I use glasses and contact lenses at the same time to fill the whole prescription?
My daughter has had a hospital referral following her eye test. She is almost 5 years old. She has been given 0.3 in her right eye and 0.1 in her left eye. Is this why she has a referral and if so, what does it mean?
I am 20 and I have noticed sometimes with my vision, eg in dim light I can be playing a game, and will notice like a dark patch in my periphery vision like there is a towel or something on the floor, but when I look it’s gone and it’s not there when I turn back to the TV, only if I’m staring at it for a few minutes.