Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
My script reads:
VA: R: 6/4.5 L: 6/4.5
R: -0.25/-0.50×173 add
L: 0.00/-0.50×16 add
What does it mean?
Can I have a tint added to my antiglare lenses after they have been made? Or have they got to make new ones?
While searching the internet for Saphir lenses, an article appeared about a Specsavers Optician suggesting these to a client.
I am living in the Falkland Islands at the moment and looking to get some contact lenses. My last eye test was in Germany in July 2014.
Are glasses for Irlen syndrome covered by the NHS and if not how much will they roughly cost?
I was in the process of taking my contact lens out. Then my eye sight went back to its normal way. I think the contact lens has come out but didn’t see. I am feeling no pain or discomfort. Is there a possibility that the lens has come out without me noticing or have I lost it in another area of my eye?
I have used Zeiss varifocal lens for 20 years. I was advised that they were the best available and they certainly were a marked improvement over the Boots brand.
I have recently started wearing contact lenses, +2.25 in my left eye and +4.00 in my right. I have been trying to find a supplier that can supply coloured lenses (Cosplay/Halloween/Stage ) in full red.
I am 15 and I have been wearing glasses since I was 12 but only for some lessons at school e.g. when I am at the back. I have noticed my eyes are getting worse for example when I was on holiday in October and my family could see something far away that maybe I could have seen a year ago but I just couldn’t see it as it was all blurry.
I have just been for an eye test at work, although I can read the smallest numbers/letters etc I also see two boxes through the view finder when I should only see one, the nurse says I should go for an eye test at an opticians, she says I shouldn’t be worried but you do worry. I can only explain it like its looking through a pair of binocular’s and not being able to bring both lenses together.