Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I’ve just bought some glasses (my first pair) mainly for computer work and reading. They are varifocals. When I fix my gaze on one point on the computer screen and move my head very slightly left and right, the whole screen seems to ripple.
I currently use -11 biofinity monthly. Having dry eyes and need to switch to dailies disposable lenses. Which brands go to such a prescription please?
I started getting a ‘light spot’ in my right eye three days ago. Imagine glancing at the sun and then looking away – this spot behaves in the same way as this would, showing up on a blink and fading gradually until the next blink. The difference is that it is persistent and has been present for these past three days.
I have been getting double vision and I have had prisms fitted into my glasses however this still isn’t helping.
What does this mean?
R +0.25 L +0.25 ADD +1.50 BE
I take it to mean I am ok with distance but might need glasses for reading.
I have been wearing 30 day contact lenses for one year now. I find these great for seeing in the distance and have had no issues, however three days a week I work with computers all day and I really struggle with my vision when focusing on the computer screens wearing my contacts.
A friends suffering in her new glasses she says everything’s sort of squeezed inwards. I’ve read her optical card and she’s around a +12 in both eyes? I was just wondering if this was normal.
My five year old son has been complaining over recent weeks at school that he can’t see the board very well, he has also been rubbing eyes frequently and sitting closer to the homework paper and the television. Do you think he may need glasses?
I have been having trouble with blurring of vision, struggling to focus on writing. Sometimes it looks as if I have cloudy parts in my eyes.