Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
My last eye test in 2013 had a near add and inter add eye number. My test today only gave a near add number. Is this ok? I wear varifocals.
For the past couple of days my eyes has been watery and today I woke and one of my eye is stinging, especially when I blink. Please can you help?
We recently visited the Bath store, my husband got his glasses in 1 day, quite impressive really but he can see with them!
I have a new pair of varifocal spectacles and sitting looking down at a table or my legs the surface is sloping one way – in my case to the right. The prescription is very similar to previous, the only differences being that the new have a permanent tint and the old light sensitive.
Please will you help with letting me know the meaning of my prescription as I do not understand and wasn’t told. Am I long sighted or short sighted or are they about the same? Are they oval shape or round? I work on computers on a day to day basis do you think my eyes will gradually become worse?
I am a long-term contact lens user and recently had an eye test at Specsavers in Chesham. I am incresingly needing to wear reading glasses on top of my distance contact lenses in order to see things close up – even screen work on high resolution displays is problematic from 60cm away.
I took my son for an eye test and the result was sph +0.75 right and sph +0.75 cyl -0.25, axis 36 left. But the optician said he doesn’t need glasses? I don’t understand why?
I have 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in the in the other eye wearing glasses does this pass for my HGV eye test?
Is it possible for me to wear one contact lense when my right eye is -3.25 and my left eye is -1.00? Would there be any negative side effects?
I am 31, my PVD was diagnosed five months back. Yesterday I visited retina specialist and confirmed retina is all good. Can I now surely relax and put this aside. He said PVD is still evolving