Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I saw my Specsavers optician on Thursday, as a referral from my GP due to having a watery and pink eye for over a week, the optician did a full eye test and advised no serious problems with my eye and no change to prescription.
I forgot to take my disposable lenses out last night…and I cannot see them in either eye today. When I have done this in the past, they have been there the next day.
Is it possible they are still in my eyes somewhere and if so what should I do about it?
I have no pain. Or discomfort but I definitely didn’t remove them.
Have you ever heard of Specsavers all in one contact solution (turtle) causing dry skin on hands?
Would there be any benefit to getting glasses or are they a waste of money at this point?
I need a new pair of glasses as mine came apart but I cannot afford to buy glasses and have an eye test. At the moment I am wearing my reading glasses which are of no use when outside.
I know that eyesight may cure naturally as you go grow older. So, what do glasses actually do because in my experience I don’t think it’s controlling eye sight. I can see without my glasses but not as well.
Could you please explain my new prescription Right Sph -3.50 Cyl -1.25 Axis 5.0 Left -3.50 Cyl -1.50 Axis 1.0.
My old prescription from three years ago was Right -3.50 Cyl -1.25 Axis 180, Left same as right. What I don’t understand is the Axis. I don’t understand those new figures 5.0 and 1.0 when it used to be 180, is there other way to read them?
I am 13 years of age right and I have been wearing glasses for two years and I’ve noticed that within every check up I get in Specsavers it’s getting bad every check up, and this leaves me clueless due to that fact that I rarely play video games, have breaks when doing school work and I eat a wide variety of fruits. Is there an alternative as to what can be done to increase my chance of my eyesight getting better.
I’ve been unwell for a few days with a fever, aches etc and today have noticed the outside corner of my right eye looks really red, almost like it’s bleeding. What could be the cause of this please?
I am dental student and wanted to know if buying cheap loupes would be bad for your eyes in the long run. There are some available on Ebay/Amazaon for £70 with headlights, this is much cheaper than the big brands.