Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Elizabeth Lumb BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I picked up my new glasses on Friday 3rd May. I instantly felt that my right eye was more blurred with my new glasses although the biggest change to my prescription was to my left eye. I was told instore that it could take a few days for my eyes to adjust.
How old can a prescription be to be used to have a second pair of sunglasses?
Around six months ago one of my eyes started to turn inwards (considerably) and it never used too. So I went to get my eyes tested and they gave me glasses. But since then it’s being getting worse and worse and I can’t look people in the eye because I’m so aware of what my eyes do.
Can I get for free contact lenses if I’m pregnant?
My distance prescription is -5.75 with +2.25 added for near, can I get contact lenses for this?
Yesterday when I picked my five year old up from school, his teacher told me that he had difficulty reading the green marker on the whiteboard. This is the first time there has been any indication that there may be an issue with his vision.
My husbands script is only 0.25 in one eye and 0.50 in the other, does he really need glasses? He disagrees and says it’s a con to get him to spend money!
Why can’t I see 3d tv? As far as an I aware I don’t have any problems with my sight. I haven’t had my eyes tested since I was very young child, about 15 years ago. When 3d first came out I tried to watch a 3d DVD with the glasses but it was just all green and blurry . I put it down to a problem with DVD. I recently went to Currys because I was interested in the new 3d tvs but I just can’t see it in 3d. My partner also has the same problem.
My spring loaded glasses hinges seem to have to much tension in them and they creak when I take them off, and put them on. Should I go back to my local Specsavers store to have some of the tension taken out?
I am 45 years old. When I was eight years old I scratched my eye with a fishing float, way back then all they did for me was cream and a patch for seven months. Is it possible these days to fix some thing like this with surgery? Now my other eye has started to get worse mainly from over work I think compensating for the bad eye.