Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
Recently I have been seeing unfocus and tiny dark spots in my vision. They seem to move about exactly as I move my eye to try and focus on them and are changing place all the time.
I have been told by an online spectacles company that “due to my prescription being more complex than normal” I will need to pay more than their advertised price for lenses from them.
I have dry eye and have not worn contacts for a very long time. I would like to try lens again and would be grateful if you could recommend such a lens and where I could purchase them from.
I’m on JSA, but I need reading glasses. I know about the voucher, but I don’t know how to get it? Is there any form I have to fill?
My son is wanting to join the Engineers as a carpenter & Joiner, whilst we have started the application process I wanted to check whether his vision may be an impairment for him to join the army.
I realized I am amblyopic at the age of 8 years. I am 33 now. At that time, my left eye was normal and the right eye required -10 lenses. There was no squint. I tried wearing patched spectacles for a few years.
Can adult strabismus occur without causing any change in vision?
I noticed my eyes were more sensitive to light last week so booked a eye test. I told the optician that I am occasionally seeing black flashes when going from dark lit areas to light. I also noticed in both eyes part of my central vision was blurry.
I had a laser procedure yesterday to repair two tears. The doctor said there would be some floaters and flashing for a while and not to worry about them. He said that if I saw the spider web effect to call him. I do have floaters and every once in a while, I get a rather large stringy one that is darker and thicker than the others. Should I be concerned about this? Or are these to be expected?
At a recent eye examination I was told that I am short sighted in one eye. As a result of this I have been prescribed glasses for watching television and driving.