Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Elizabeth Lumb BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Best BSc (Hons) MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
How much do you charge for an eye test please?
If your 19 and in full education, am I entitled to a free eye sight test or do I need to pay?
What proof can I use to show that I am still in full time education? Will an exam pass and a bursary letter be enough?
I wear contact lenses that I bought from Specsavers last year and at the same time I bought a pair of glasses. The glasses seem to be more powerful than my contact lenses and I wanted to know if that is the way it should be because normally the vision from my contacts are better which they are, but my glasses seem more powerful?
I have been wearing contact lenses for over fifteen years and have been going to a private optican for them. I am paying £38.00 a month when I compare this to online prices with various suppliers I am paying well over the top.
I am a 48 year old woman and was diagnosed with central serous retinopathy two years ago. I was seeing a consultant about it at hospital for two years. Every time I went for an appointment I would have a scan on my eye and it just so happened that I would have a leak at the time (it’s come and gone several times).
When you have a thick cornea I know the pressure of your eye may read high. But when it is too high like 27-30 mmHg what would you suggest? Is an operation an option?
I have been told I have blepharitis after viral conjunctivitis. When my eyelid starts to irritate it starts to look puffy and droops slightly and is also puffy under the lower lid. Is this normal? I bathe it with warm boiled water and sometimes Johnsons baby shampoo. I also use Viscotears.
For the last few months I have noticed a small white area inside my lower eyelid and now I have another area starting to develop. They are not painful but I am aware they are there each time I blink. What can this be please?
I’ve having this eye problem for a year or more. The problem is that when I’m outside or even sitting a big room, and when I look at distant objects like texts and people faces, I can’t see them clearly. A blur appears preventing me from seeing such objects clearly, also father they are, more burly they get. This could be because I use computers most of the time, however I’m not sure on what I should do or what type of glasses I should get. I’d appreciate it if you would let me know ASAP.