Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I have had laser surgery once and think I need it again after eight years. Is this possible?
I have a prescription of -12.5 in both eyes, do I qualify for a complex lens voucher?
I have had my vision checked today and told I need varifocals, I really do not want these as have neck and shoulder problems and sit at a computer all day, can I not get away with two pairs of single vision glasses, reading and computer and driving?
If I get a pair of Reactions glasses will I need sunglasses?
I’m currently on a free trial for contact lenses and have been for 4 days, however I have just taken one out and dropped it and now I cannot find it. What should I do?
I am 17 years old and used to be longsighted but no longer need glasses, for a while I have found that my eyes are really sore when I have to read things off of the white board at school, words aren’t completely blurred however on the board, TV and road signs the words are fuzzy around the edges.
Since December I’ve had red eyes. After trying anti-bacterial, mast stabiliser and antihistamine and dry eye drops nothing has been effective towards my red eye. Intially I did have symptoms of irritated and itchy eyes but past 4 months these have been absent.
I was wondering what a crowded eye is just my daughter had a test and it say right eye 0.375 crowded and left eye 0.250 logmar she is only 4?
Could you explain what my recent eye test means please?
Right SPH -0.50, CYL -0.50, AXIS 170.0
Left. SPH -0.25, CYL -0.25, AXIS 165.0
She said I may need to get glasses for driving or watching tv/on a computer? What do you think I should do?
I have worn Multifocal lenses for just over one month now. When I first started using them, it took a bit of time to get used to seeing close up, and I thought it was just down to giving the lenses a chance to adjust.