Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
After a visit for a test I’m curious if my sight has improved or is worse.
Previously it was SPH -0.50 and now it’s -0.75 for both eyes.
CYL: -0.75. Still the same
AXIS: 70.0. Still the same
I would like to understand more on what this means?
I have just had new glasses with varifocal lenses. I have worn varifocals for years but I find that although I can see fine at a distance and close up a lot of the middle distance is blurred. The optician says that this can’t be helped.
I am 18 and not in education. I want to start wearing contact lenses but I want to know how much I will have to pay as I am not in full-time education and also whether I will have to pay for the eye test?
I am +7.25 since the age of two with astigmatism in one eye. I am now aged 37. A check up recently revealed approximately +2 both eyes.
I have broken my current frames but the lenses are new from Specsavers…is it possible for my local store to put these lenses in a new frame of the same identical specification?
I am blind as a bat without glasses, need them in shower too but they fog up – is there any solution for it (-5.00) in both eyes and will my glasses spoil if I use them in shower?
My 95 year old gran has started to get double vision when she tries to read, knit or focus on any detail. Her vision is fine when she watches the TV. She has an Opticians appointment in a few weeks but she is worried about it.
I have astigmatism in both eyes. My left never seems to have problems with prescriptions only in the distance. My right eye always has issue. Often, I get new glasses and the prescription is slightly off. If I turn the glass slightly, I see clearly. Just got a new prescription.
The inner corners of my eyes have been extremely itchy. This has been sudden and random, started about a few weeks ago. I don’t have any allergies? It starts on the skin around the corner of my eye, by the nose, it will get so itchy! Sometimes the inside corner of my eye to. It’s worse in my left eye and started there and now it’s in the other eye.
This might seem like a silly question, but I have a pair of Oakley sunglasses with the iridium polarized lens or whatever its called! (they’re the ‘frogskin’ line). Anyway, is there any way to get my prescription put behind the current lenses or anything like that?