Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I have been wearing glasses since I was a child, and I’m 22 I still need them and my eyes are very short sighted (-5/ -6). When I started wearing glasses, I was initially told only to use them for school work/ computer work, and not to wear them all the time.
I have been offered a job in the police and need to pass their eye sight tests. My current prescription in my right eye is -1.50DS and left eye -1.75 DS.
I’m currently trying monovision contacts (contact in non-dominant eye for reading – no contact in dominant eye as distance vision is very good). How sharp should I expect reading vision to be? Can it ever be as sharp as wearing reading glasses?
My friend is 13 and has a slight prescription that the optician did not prescribe glasses for. Can she order frames online for this prescription if she feels she will benefit from them?
I got new glasses about a year ago and now I can’t see through them, but my old ones from two years before I can see out of. I have type 2 diabetes just been to the diabetic clinic and told the doctor but he didn’t seem to care that I was having problems.
I wear multifocal contact lenses, and for past couple months I am finding my vision poor, with both glasses and lenses.
My sister always in the night complains her eye is hurting and she tends to scratch it a lot and her eye become so red does she need glasses to help the pain go?
Does it mean that Opticians referring patients for cataract surgery etc receive a fee?
I had my eyes tested yesterday I’ve always thought my vision was good. When I was asked to read the lowest line possible, I struggled to get past the fifth line, and couldn’t get all the letters correct.
I struggle to read at distances, I used to be able to see no problems. I have a digital clock in my bedroom and I can’t make anything out apart from a blur. I have problems watching tv and most of the time I miss things as I cant see it properly. My friend let me try his glasses on, and I was surprisingly shocked that I could see through them.