Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I have been given a prescription for some lenses following a full eye examination with Specsavers. Generally, my eye health is fine. I do get headaches from prolonged computer work and from reading etc. (usually when I am tired).
I had just experienced a really weird vision on my right eye about 20 minutes ago at work when working at the computer. I was seeing a series of little bright lights flying around in a almost circular motion after I had done a large stretch.
I am having my eyes tested today for the first time in many years. I have been delaying getting my eyes tested as I thought I was seeing OK. My Friends and Family have commented that I am squinting and I actually got caught out as my friend asked me to read something on the time-table board.
On my spectacle prescription, my aided VAs are listed as follows: OD 6/5-, OS 6/9+. I understand what 6/5 and 6/9 mean, but what do the – and + sign mean?
Is it possible that two entirely different contact lens brands with the same prescription can have such different results? One brand offers excellent visual acuity but is very uncomfortable. The other is comfortable but vision is poor. Both are toric lenses.
My son is very visually impaired and wears glasses 24/7. We are planning on going swimming and was wondering if he could wear his glasses in the pool as he cannot see without them?
Would I need to get new glasses for driving as the change to my prescription appears to be minor and my present glasses are only a year old and seem to be fine.
I have always been nearsighted for five years. I am now 28 and my prescription had seemed to stabilize, but over the last 6-9 months this has not been the case.
I’m 23 and have a freckle behind my left eye, which has pigmentation on it, this is what the optometrist said. I have a family history of glaucoma and raised pressure in both eyes.
Is six months a normal waiting time to be seen again? As I have seen online that sometimes it is a year, is it a worry that I am being seen earlier?
I have been wearing my sight glasses since the 23/10/15, up to now and my right eye seems blurred. Left eye is clear lens and right one seems blurred. How long should I give them before I go back to the opticians to get them checked or re-done. I do have astigmatism in both eyes the right one is worse.