Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
Can specsavers help with prescription shooting glasses and eye dominance?
Can I get a rapidly growing pinguecula removed by somebody in a specsavers branch? I’m based in Chester?
Am 74 and had my eyes tested for first time yesterday (by very weird guy). He talked a lot but was not very communicative. I just would like to know if my prescription is good for my age or average. I use 2.00 easy readers and he recommended varifocals which I don’t much like the sound of. My prescription reads: Sph +1.25R and +0.75L: Cyl -0.50R and -0.25L: Axis 105R and 75L
Having had laser treatment some years ago, my right eye is slightly long sighted and my left eye slightly short sighted. Since then, I have had prescription glasses to deal with the latter (especially for driving) although generally this condition has proved advantageous because the ‘best’ eye has enabled me to see long distance and to read as appropriate.
Do I really need glasses? My right sphere os -0.50, cylinder 05.
left sphere 00, reading addition +1.25, back vertex distance 12,
Distance acuity right 6/6 near acuity NS
Distance acuity left 6/6, near acuity NS.
I was just wondering if there is any kind of scratch resistant coating I can apply to the pair of glasses I currently own or would the only option be to buy a new pair of glasses with a scratch resistant coating?
I need glasses for distance but should I wear them for computer work, which I do daily? I would prefer not to and my vision of the screen is exactly the same whether I wear them or not but I don’t want to worsen my vision?
What is the name for that hand held lens paddle that they put in front of your eye and flick it over and over while saying ” is it better with 1 or 2″?
I have dry eyes and sometimes I have to open my right eyes with my hand while waking up in the night.
For approximately how many years can a patient use contact lenses daily, so long as proper hygiene guidelines are followed? I wear daily disposables. After how many years does full-time contact lens wear become a problem?