Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
My son wants to be an RAF or Royal Navy Pilot, he has heard that requirements are different for each. His eye readings are Right sphere +0.00 Cyl -0.50 Axis 20. Left sphere +0.00 Cyl -0.50 Axis 165. Are these readings normal and will he pass the eye test for either.
I need to get a pair of varifocals made in the UK when visiting. I will require an eye test and will want to choose frames, lenses will be the thin type, and photochromic.
I’m just wondering if I should take my 2 1/2 year old to get his eyes tested, or take him to a doctor. He has recently started to complain that his eyes hurt, at first I thought it was from swimming as he does go frequently but then he started to complain even when he wasn’t swimming or hadn’t been swimming for a few days.
I recently had an eye exam and prior to the eye test my old glasses were measured and a glaucoma test was done where they blow the air in the eyes and another simple test which I’m not sure what it was for.
I currently wear prescription lens glasses. Can I get lens coating for antiglare night driving as I’m really struggling to see when faced with oncoming headlights?
I have been prescribed 10ml chloramphenicol 0.5% eyedrops for bacterial conjunctivitis. I want to know if this treatment is for five days?
Would it be possible for you to explain how my eyesight has changed over the last three eye tests I have had. The reason I ask is because my left eye has gone from plano to now being worse than my right eye. I am in my late thirties now.
I have just scored 102/120 on the DVLA group 1 eye test, following successful laser and vitrectomy on both eyes. Will I pass the test with that score, and keep my driving licence?
My left eye has just become watery, red and irritated. It’s not sore or itchy just red and watery. It feels puffy and the white looks slightly jelly like. I get it every now and then and if I wash it out with optrex it usually gets better in a few hours. Is this just an allergic reaction to something or should I get it checked out by an optician?
I have been wearing glasses since I was a child, and I’m 22 I still need them and my eyes are very short sighted (-5/ -6). When I started wearing glasses, I was initially told only to use them for school work/ computer work, and not to wear them all the time.