Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Dr Nigel Best DOptom MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
I have an HC2 I recently had an eye test and was given a prescription for two different close vision glasses. My eyes need them. I also have disabilities which require me to do most of my reading laid down and close up.
From time to time I will get a camera flash style spot in my vision but quite a bit smaller (no camera involved). These will last a few minutes… and are more prominent the more I blink.
When I’m on the computer or watching TV I tend to get headaches after about ten minutes. What does this indicate, do I need glasses?
I occasionally suffer from Iritis which leaves my eyes sensitive to bright lights. I work on a computer all day and find that it can be painful. I was considering buying a pair of glasses with Reactions lenses but on investigation it would appear that they react to UV and not brightness. Would I be better off with a pair of straightforward tinted lenses?
Why are the prescriptions so different?
My present glasses are varifocals, having worn them for almost two years. At my last annual eye test, in 2013, I was diagnosed as having WMD and was referred to the local hospital. Since then I have had 12 eye injections and the follow-up checks.
I am a 24 years old glasses wearer and my last eye test was in April 2013, however I feel like my eyesight is getting worse. I am unable to see certain things as clearly as I used to. I’ve noticed this change over the past month or so. My eyes feel tired easily and I find that it is sometimes hard to focus on thing, I’ll have to squint a bit.
I have varifocal glasses and about to try varifocal contact lenses. The varifocal lenses are the same strength – is this correct? My normal lenses are different for each eye.
For semi rimless frames up to what prescription can someone get at the maximum for nearsightedness?
Had treatment for corneal erosion that wouldn’t heal. Eye specialist scraped old abrasion and on follow up said new one was healing . Went back as still had intermittent problems, eye would be ok for weeks then would wake up again with really painful eye. Went back and been given drops and lubricant and told to go back six months but this morning once again woke with really painful eye and feels like every time I blink it’s got glass in it.