Most popular answers
- Red eye and blurred vision
- Dryness and blur
- Floaters for four days
- Is glaucoma hereditary?
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- What causes cataracts?
- Symptoms of diabetes
- What causes dry itchy eye lids? (Blepharitis)
- Different types of conjunctivitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Prescription explained
- Colour vision tests
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal Photography
- Bruce Fitzgerald BEng (Hons) BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- David Hill BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Elizabeth Lumb BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Gillian Syme BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Jill Campbell BSc(Hons) MCOptom
- Neil Constantine-Smith BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Nicola Nisbet BSc (Hons) MCOptom DipOc
- Nigel Best BSc (Hons) MCOptom FBCLA FAAO
- Nigel Davidson BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Paul Carroll BSc(Hons) MCOptom MBA
- Paul Morris BSc (Hons) Optometry MCOptom
- Samia Qureshi BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Sanjay Patel BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom
- Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom
Ask the Optician
Type your question below to search through our Ask the Optician Q&A archive. Or, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on eye health, you can ask one of our qualified optometrists.
For a few months my long-distance vision has been suffering, everything far away was becoming increasingly blurred and I suffered bad headaches and sore eyes. I got my eyes checked by an ophthalmologist and then at an optometrist at Specsavers who both told me I was in the early stages of myopia but didn’t need glasses urgently. I decided to get a pair as they would make driving, attending lectures, etc more comfortable.
I am 67 years old and I am going for a medical next week which includes an eye test. I have glasses for driving and have left them in China. I am afraid I might fail this part of the medical. Should I buy another pair?
For the last two years my eye test has shown developing cataracts, yesterday they had disappear! Is this possible?. I am 75 years old.
I have severe pain in my left eye. It started last Thurs 16th May 2013 in the morning.
My eyesight is 5/6 in my left and 6/60 in my right, with glasses my left eye is 5/6 and my right eye is 6/36. I have an astigmatism, but that hasn’t caused my bad eye, It’s is due to a lazy eye I think. I’ve always wanted to be in the army or police firearms, would there be any solution maybe laser when I am older?
My son is long sighted and his prescription is 7.5 he wears daily contact lenses, but they are not strong enough. Do they make them with a higher prescription?
I recently visited the opticians because I was using a nasal spray and I started to get pressure behind my eyes so I stopped using it, but noticed that a part of my eye was blurred, right at the line of focus. I have noticed that when I blink quickly that there is a bubble shape with a smaller bubble shape attached if that makes sense.
I wear spectacles, in my left eye I have 6/5 and in my right I have around 6/24 or 6/36 vision. Could I get in the British army?
I have retinoschisis and if I change to Specsavers will there be an Optician qualified to test my eyes. Will the Optician be able to request my notes from my current Optician? I would like to change to Specsavers as it is closer for me to visit.
I got my eyes tested from Specsavers and got to know that my power has
been increased from -4 to -5 (sph) and an increase of 0.75 ( cyl). I had
a doubt so I got retested from Tesco. There my prescription was
same as old, no change. Now I am confused between the two different prescriptions?