Ask the Optician

Need varifocal safety glasses with tint or photochromic lenses for working outdoors


Can you please help me, I wear prescription varifocal safety glasses and work outside in bright conditions fitting glass. I find that I need the glasses either tinted or reaction tinted. Can you please let me know what you can do to help as I find this problem is causing me some safety issues.

Answer Written answer:

You can certainly have tinted varifocal lenses to wear outdoors. Depending on the property of the lens required, you may also be able to have them made in photochromic (Reactions) lenses. What type of lens you can have in safety glasses is often governed by employers (as often they have to supply them) and it can be difficult to have something more than just standard lenses.

We recommend you seek professional advice if you are concerned about your eye health:

Book an appointment

Optician's Biography

Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom has been a qualified Optometrist for over 35 years, and has a vast experience of almost all aspects of optometry. He joined Specsavers Opticians in 1993 first in Liverpool and for 15 years as a director of Lancaster and Morecambe. He served on many panels and committees whilst a director, including those responsible for IT design and professional advancement. He was regional chairman of the North West directors of Specsavers for over 12 years and as such was involved in almost all aspects of optometry on a business and professional level. He has been involved on the Local Optical Committee for many years and is currently Vice Chairman in his area.
Share this
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • email
  • StumbleUpon
  • Delicious
  • Google Reader
  • LinkedIn
  • Tumblr
    Ask the optician, receive friendly, professional advice