Ask the Optician

How do I obtain an eye test through the NHS if my parent had glaucoma?


I am aged over 40 and one of my parents has been diagnosed with glaucoma. I understand this means I am entitled to a free NHS sight test. How do I go about obtaining any certificate or form that you would need for this purpose?

Answer Written answer:

You don't have to! When you go for the eye test tell the receptionist that you have a close relative with glaucoma, and you will be asked to sign an NHS sight test form declaring that fact.

We recommend you seek professional advice if you are concerned about your eye health:

Book an appointment

Optician's Biography

Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom has been a qualified Optometrist for over 35 years, and has a vast experience of almost all aspects of optometry. He joined Specsavers Opticians in 1993 first in Liverpool and for 15 years as a director of Lancaster and Morecambe. He served on many panels and committees whilst a director, including those responsible for IT design and professional advancement. He was regional chairman of the North West directors of Specsavers for over 12 years and as such was involved in almost all aspects of optometry on a business and professional level. He has been involved on the Local Optical Committee for many years and is currently Vice Chairman in his area.
Share this
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • email
  • StumbleUpon
  • Delicious
  • Google Reader
  • LinkedIn
  • Tumblr
    Ask the optician, receive friendly, professional advice