Ask the Optician

Hot cooking oil splashed into eye


I was cooking yesterday and some hot oil splash on my face and in my eye. The eye is now watery and irritating what should I do?

Answer Written answer:

I think if you had done any serious damage you would be in severe pain, nonetheless you may need some treatment and it is therefore best to have your eyes examined as soon as possible by the optometrist who has specialised equipment to detect any damage to the front of your eye. Alternatively you should see your GP. 

We recommend you seek professional advice if you are concerned about your eye health:

Book an appointment

Optician's Biography

Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom has been a qualified Optometrist for over 35 years, and has a vast experience of almost all aspects of optometry. He joined Specsavers Opticians in 1993 first in Liverpool and for 15 years as a director of Lancaster and Morecambe. He served on many panels and committees whilst a director, including those responsible for IT design and professional advancement. He was regional chairman of the North West directors of Specsavers for over 12 years and as such was involved in almost all aspects of optometry on a business and professional level. He has been involved on the Local Optical Committee for many years and is currently Vice Chairman in his area.
Share this
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • email
  • StumbleUpon
  • Delicious
  • Google Reader
  • LinkedIn
  • Tumblr
    Ask the optician, receive friendly, professional advice