Ask the Optician

Can the optician or GP refer my husband for cataract surgery?


My husband is a customer at Altrincham and he has been told he has cataracts in one eye. He has recently had new spectacles which improved his vision temporarily but it has now worsened. The vision in this eye is blurred and we are concerned re his driving etc.
Can you advise me how soon he can have the operation for removal of they have to be at a certain level before the operation, and who refers him, is it yourselves or his GP?
He is covered with private medical care and he would like the operation as soon as is possible.

Answer Written answer:

Once the vision has reduced to a level that is interfering with your day to day activities cataract surgery should be considered. Your optician can refer you direct through the NHS or privately to see a consultant surgeon. I would call the practice and see if this is possible without seeing the optician again, or the may want to do another eye test first. If you wish to go privately you will need to discus this with the optician. 

We recommend you seek professional advice if you are concerned about your eye health:

Book an appointment

Optician's Biography

Simon Kay BSc(Hons) MCOptom has been a qualified Optometrist for over 35 years, and has a vast experience of almost all aspects of optometry. He joined Specsavers Opticians in 1993 first in Liverpool and for 15 years as a director of Lancaster and Morecambe. He served on many panels and committees whilst a director, including those responsible for IT design and professional advancement. He was regional chairman of the North West directors of Specsavers for over 12 years and as such was involved in almost all aspects of optometry on a business and professional level. He has been involved on the Local Optical Committee for many years and is currently Vice Chairman in his area.
Share this
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • email
  • StumbleUpon
  • Delicious
  • Google Reader
  • LinkedIn
  • Tumblr
    Ask the optician, receive friendly, professional advice