Ask the Optician

Age-related macular degeneration


Can you test for macular degeneration at your shops or is this done at the local hospital?

Answer Video and written answer:
Qualified Optometrist Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom answers this question

Macular Degeneration is routinely looked for in all Optometrist's eye exams. If the Optometrist believes that you are at risk they will refer you to an Ophthalmologist (Doctor specialist in eyes) for assessment.

For more information about age-related macular degeneration, see our video below:

Optician's Biography

Seamus Breslin BSc (Hons) MCOptom graduated from the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology in 1986 and qualified as an Optometrist in 1987. He joined Specsavers 21 years ago and is currently the Director of three Specsavers Optical and Hearcare practices.
Share this
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • email
  • StumbleUpon
  • Delicious
  • Google Reader
  • LinkedIn
  • Tumblr
    Ask the optician, receive friendly, professional advice